'QWebEnginePage' object has no attribute 'mainFrame' and attribute 'print_'

Using QWebEnginePage I got the error message.

'QWebEnginePage' object has no attribute 'mainFrame'  and attribute 'print_'

I tested using source code in https://github.com/mfitzp/15-minute-apps/tree/master/browser page. How can I fix this error?

This took a little effort to work out :smiley: — the problem comes from changes in the API for PyQt5.6 and up.

Printing

For printing web pages, the print method is now on the page object itself. This method print() accepts a printer object and callback to call once printing is complete. There is a bit of trickiness here in that if you try and use the QPrinter from the print dialog it will crash (probably due to losing a reference to the object).

The solution is to create a single QPrinter instance at startup and pass that into the dialog.

def print_page(self):
    dlg = QPrintDialog(self.printer)
    if dlg.exec_():
        self.browser.page().print(self.printer, self.print_completed)

def print_completed(self, success):
    pass   # Do something in here, maybe update the status bar?

The callback is required, but your not required to do anything in it. It receives a bool value for success/failure of the print.

Note that you need to create an instance of QPrinter in your window setup, e.g.

self.printer = QPrinter()

mainFrame

For mainFrame this has simply been deprecated. However, for the saving of files we now also need to use callbacks in the toHtml call. A working example is —

def save_file(self):
    filename, _ = QFileDialog.getSaveFileName(self, "Save Page As", "",
                                              "Hypertext Markup Language (*.htm *html);;"
                                              "All files (*.*)")

if filename:
        def write_html_to_file(html):
            with open(filename, 'w') as f:
                f.write(html)

self.browser.page().toHtml(write_html_to_file)

The simple solution is to create a little callback function to accept the generated html and complete the write to disk. For a real application you’d probably want some error handling in here too.